Here’s a new twist on the classic. Adding early-sesaon herbs in a pesto dressing makes the same old potato salad perfect for spring/summer. (Courtesy of Oprah.com/Lynn Andriani)
• 1 1/2 pounds small new potatoes , scrubbed
• 1/3 cup Parsley and Mint Pesto (see below)
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons red wine red wine vinegar
• 2 stalks celery , thinly sliced on the diagonal
• 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives (about 10 pitted olives)
• 1/4 cup grated ricotta salata
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Place potatoes in a medium saucepan; add water to cover.
Bring to simmer and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife.
Drain in colander; cut potatoes in half when cool enough to handle.
In a large bowl, stir together pesto, oil, and vinegar.
Add warm potatoes, celery, olives, ricotta salata, salt, and pepper.
Gently toss until combined; serve warm
Servings: Makes 4 servings
Parsley and Mint Pesto
This is delicious with New Potato Salad or on a lamb sandwich with roasted peppers.
Servings: Makes 3/4 cup
• 1/2 cup blanched whole almonds
• 1 small clove garlic , peeled
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher kosher salt
• 1 cup packed fresh Italian parsley packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
• 1/2 cup fresh mint fresh mint leaves
• 1/2 cup fresh basil fresh basil leaves
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive extra-virgin olive oil , plus more for storing
• 1 1/2 tablespoons crumbled ricotta ricotta salata
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350°. Spread out almonds on a baking sheet; bake 8 to 10 minutes or until fragrant and golden. Let cool.
Place garlic and salt in a mortar. Add about 1/3 of the almonds, parsley, mint, basil, and olive oil. Using a pestle, crush against bottom and sides of mortar until a coarse paste forms. Note: This pesto can be made in a food processor: simply combine the ingredients and blend 20 to 30 seconds, to a coarse paste.
Working in batches, add another 1/3 of the almonds, parsley, mint, basil, and olive oil; crush as directed. Repeat with remaining batch. Stir in ricotta salata and pepper; transfer to an airtight container, cover with a layer of extra-virgin olive oil (to prevent oxidation), and refrigerate up to 3 days.
W4399 South Lakeshore Drive
Lake Geneva, WI 53147
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sheldon Landscape is a landscape contractor who provides landscape design, landscape installation, and landscape services for clients in Lake Geneva, WI, and surrounding communities including Delavan Lake, Fontana, and Williams Bay, WI.
Copyright © Sheldon Landscape, Inc.