I am so proud to share my longtime friend Laurie Bakke’s recipe and cookbook. Part of the “Dinners to Go” line-up from Laurie’s Cafe Laurie, this wonderful dish makes an excellent choice for Sunday football games, a dinner party, family meal or for a great sandwich the next day. I invite you to explore Laurie’s website and her unique cookbook “Behind the Scenes from Cafe Laurie” (a great gift idea!) http://lauriebakkeskitchen.com/
Stuffed Gourmet Meatloaf with Spinach, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Olives and topped with Mozzarella Cheese
Serves 8 to 10
1 lb.. Hot Italian Sausage – casings removed
1 lb. Ground Chuck
1 Medium Onion – finely chopped
3 Cloves Garlic – finely minced
1 1/4 C. Dry Bread Crumbs*
1 C. Fresh Italian Parsley – finely chopped
2 Tbsp. Fresh Oregano – finely chopped
2 Large Eggs – beaten
1/2 C. Tomato Sauce – fire roasted, if available
1/2 C. Red Wine
2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil – high quality
2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 C. Fresh Spinach – roughly chopped
4 oz. Smoked Sun-Dried Tomatoes – sliced and chopped *
1/2 C. Kalamata Olives – chopped
1 lb.. Mozzarella Cheese – shredded
1. In a large bowl, combine the sausage, ground chuck, onion, garlic, bread crumbs. parsley, oregano, eggs, tomato sauce, wine, olive oil, salt and pepper. With hands, combine the mixture until blended. Do not over mix because this can cause the meatloaf to dry out.
2. Spread the mixture into a 12×15-inch rectangle on a large sheet of waxed paper; making sure the mixture is smooth on the top and the edges rounded. Spread the spinach on the rectangle, leaving the edges uncovered. Top with the tomatoes and olives; layer 3/4 of the cheese over the filling.
3. Roll the meatloaf to enclose the filling, using the waxed paper to begin the roll. Remove the waxed paper and press the edges to seal. Place the seam side down in a foil-lined baking pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until cooked through. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake just until the cheese melts.
5. To serve, slice the meatloaf on the diagonal. Serve immediately The meatloaf can be refrigerated for another dinner, for sandwiches or frozen to use in the future.
* I prefer Panko-style breadcrumbs because of its course, yet light texture.
* Smoked Sun-Dried Tomatoes can be found in the tomato section or sometimes in the produce section.
This dish pairs wonderfully with Stuffed Red Potatoes with Basil Pesto and Balsamic Grilled Asparagus with Goat Cheese. Both recipes can be found in Laurie Bakke’s Cookbook, which is for sale on her website www.lauriebakkeskitchen.com . Check it out!
W4399 South Lakeshore Drive
Lake Geneva, WI 53147
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sheldon Landscape is a landscape contractor who provides landscape design, landscape installation, and landscape services for clients in Lake Geneva, WI, and surrounding communities including Delavan Lake, Fontana, and Williams Bay, WI.
Copyright © Sheldon Landscape, Inc.